- Supply donations are no longer being collected for Hurricane relief. The need now is specifically groceries. If you would like to make a monetary contribution, please designate your cash/check with “Irma Relief”.
- Click here to donate to Puerto Rico relief. You can read the Florida Conference of the United Methodist Church’s statement of solidarity here.
- Click here to donate to the UMCOR fund. This is a general fund that helps with Harvey and other areas affected by natural disasters.
- Click here to donate to the Hurricane Irma Fund. These funds specifically help with Irma relief.
- Interested in volunteering with recovery? Click here for volunteer opportunities with the Florida Conference of the United Methodist Church.
- Interested in leading a recovery team from Good Samaritan? Contact Justin Barfield at firstname.lastname@example.org or 850-251-0174
A Statement By The Florida Conference Cabinet
The United Methodist Church | FLUMC
Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me,
for in you my soul takes refuge;
in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge,
until the destroying storms pass by.
As both of our Conferences recover from the devastations of Hurricanes Irma and Maria, we, in Florida, offer our solidarity and love to our sisters and brothers in Puerto Rico. While 46% of people in the United States are unaware of the fact that people in Puerto Rico are US Citizens,* we know that 100% of United Methodists affirm that we are all sisters and brothers in Christ.
As we in Florida are organizing our hurricane relief efforts across our peninsula, we urge the US Government to do all in its power to provide humanitarian relief to our fellow citizens in this island nation.
We are grateful for the leadership of the Methodist Church of Puerto Rico in directing the work of our Church’s response and pledge to send resources and volunteers in the recovery phase of rebuilding.
We strongly support the work just beginning by a select group of Florida pastors and laity who are preparing a hurricane response to welcome and resource families from Puerto Rico who are bringing their children to the US for education while the schools in Puerto Rico are restored over this next year.
We are hopeful for the ways in which God’s love can and will be revealed through the healing and restoration of people in Puerto Rico and Florida.
*US News and World Report, September 26, 2017
If you would like to make a difference in this effort:
- Contribute to UMCOR, Advance #901670, designated for Puerto Rico
- If you would like to stay informed about the hospitality ministry to families from Puerto Rico, please email HelpPuertoRico@flumc.org to learn more.